No Dota 2 compo? ;_;

Heb je een vraag,opmerking of een suggestie ivm compo's of gameservers

No Dota 2 compo? ;_;

Postby EpicRenaissance » 09/09/13 10:22

I am very surprised to see three(!) LoL compo's and not a single Dota 2 compo.
Is there a reasoning why there isn't one? Dota 2 is most played game on Steam by far, and it's highly competitive.
Heck, the biggest prizepool for a game in the world is Dota 2 nowadays. (The International by Valve)
I would have come just for that, but too bad I guess...
EpicRenaissance

Re: No Dota 2 compo? ;_;

Postby Gelleby » 09/09/13 10:58

Dota is a fun compo @ FoM, because we have chosen Riot as a sponsor.
You can't do both as a main compo...
Gelleby
FoM Crew

Postby EpicRenaissance » 09/09/13 11:29

Wow, that's pretty sad actually, but I guess as the organizer you're happy with all the sponsors you can get.
It just goes to show how scared Riot is of Dota 2.
EpicRenaissance

Postby oNt- » 09/09/13 12:50

Vrij zielig dat jullie zulke praktijken toepassen.
oNt-

Postby haiQt » 09/09/13 13:27

Just to clarify: Dota2 not being in the official competition list doesn't mean that Dota2 is banned from Frag-o-Matic just because League of Legends is an official competition. The reason for Dota2 not being an official competition is the lack of playerbase in Belgium right now, especially compared to League of Legends. Just wanted to get this out there since apparently this is making the rounds on Reddit as well. This is what I posted there:

I feel like I need to reply here -- I'm part of the organization of Frag-o-Matic and this title is insanely misleading. We have chosen to only host League of Legends as the official compo because the difference between people playing Dota2 and LoL is staggering (I'm a Dota2-fan all the way, for what it's worth).

Let me come right out and say that Dota2 is definitely not banned from Frag-o-Matic, it's just not an official competition. What this means is that Dota2 players are free to organize a competition themselves during the LAN (and are encouraged to do so, just like any other gamers who want to organize a competition themselves). Frag-o-Matic will in turn provide our platform to host this competition on: the competition organizers will act as tournament admins and, for example, will be able to make announcements through the microphone etc to inform people about anything related to this competition.

There's a ton of work that goes into the official competitions (sponsoring, admin, ...) which means that we unfortunately can't organize a competition for every single game that people want to play. Again, this does not mean that we are banning Dota2 from being played, we even encourage people to host their own competition during the LAN with our full support. Banning games on Frag-o-Matic is something we have never done and won't start doing now.
Sadly, Dota2 just doesn't have as big of a following in Belgium as it deserves, which means that using time and resources (sponsoring etc) to organize this competition isn't worth it yet to us as an organization. Each game is evaluated on a LAN-by-LAN basis, so if the interest and Belgian gaming population increases for Dota2 there's a big chance it will be bumped up to the official competition list.
haiQt
FoM Crew

Postby EpicRenaissance » 09/09/13 13:32

Thanks for the clarifications, and excuse me for causing confusion. But, what is Riot paying sponsor money for then? Because as far as I can see in the prizepool announcements, there hasn't been any notion of Riot contributing to this.

Edit: They aren't even listed as a sponsor as far as I can see.
Last edited by EpicRenaissance on 09/09/13 13:35, edited 1 time in total.
EpicRenaissance

Postby LtOin » 09/09/13 13:34

If you don't want people to get the wrong message don't give answers that are misleading.

Is in no way saying that you aren't doing Dota because the playerbase isn't big enough. And with the track record of Riot actively trying to stop Dota from being at the same event as LoL it doesn't take much to come to the conclusion that they are at it again.

EDIT: I accidentally edited your post instead of adding a new one, sorry about that. :) -- haiQt
LtOin

Postby haiQt » 09/09/13 13:38

EpicRenaissance wrote:Thanks for the clarifications, and excuse me for causing confusion. But, what is Riot paying sponsor money for then? Because as far as I can see in the prizepool announcements, there hasn't been any notion of Riot contributing to this.

Edit: They aren't even listed as a sponsor as far as I can see.

As far as I know, Riot is not a sponsor for the League of Legends competitions (and obviously any other compos) this time (they sponsored Riot Points & tournament skins in a previous edition if I recall correctly).

Again, the LoL competitions being official has nothing to do with Riot being a sponsor or not (since they aren't even sponsoring), the reason for them being official is the interest from the FoM community in the game and the large playerbase compared to Dota2.
haiQt
FoM Crew

Postby haiQt » 09/09/13 13:44

LtOin wrote:If you don't want people to get the wrong message don't give answers that are misleading.

Is in no way saying that you aren't doing Dota because the playerbase isn't big enough. And with the track record of Riot actively trying to stop Dota from being at the same event as LoL it doesn't take much to come to the conclusion that they are at it again.

I completely agree, the way it was put was misleading and blew this way out of proportion. Hopefully everything is clarified now. If you have any more questions, post them here or mail me at haiqt@fom.be.
haiQt
FoM Crew

Postby EpicRenaissance » 09/09/13 13:47

Well, looking at the topic views after hours of posting, I guess it gave FoM some extra publicity. Thanks for clearing at all out!
I hope I can participate on a next event if you happen to also have a Dota compo!
EpicRenaissance

Postby IronSwan » 09/09/13 14:03

I assume you understand that Gelleby's response and yours are contradictory. Did Riot "unofficially" sponsor your event and tell you guys not to "waste time" organizing a Dota compo? That's what it seems like from your responses. The non-media guy (Gelleby) in his honesty gives the actual reason, while the professional one gives the "official" reason for not having Dota.
IronSwan

Postby haiQt » 09/09/13 14:06

IronSwan wrote:I assume you understand that Gelleby's response and yours are contradictory. Did Riot "unofficially" sponsor your event and tell you guys not to "waste time" organizing a Dota compo? That's what it seems like from your responses. The non-media guy (Gelleby) in his honesty gives the actual reason, while the professional one gives the "official" reason for not having Dota.

No, unfortunately Gelleby was uninformed and his post made everyone believe something that is not true at all. I can tell you right now that I work closely together with the sponsoring department, and my response is how things actually are.
haiQt
FoM Crew

Postby haiQt » 09/09/13 14:09

I have removed some posts that could cause people to still misinterpret what is actually going on here. I have saved all replies for posterity in a screenshot prior to deleting them.

I'll leave this thread open for discussion, but hopefully everything has been clarified by now.
haiQt
FoM Crew

Postby IronSwan » 09/09/13 14:10

Thanks for clarifying in the reddit thread as well. Hope the playerbase becomes big enough to warrant official comps in the future.
IronSwan

Postby EpicRenaissance » 28/09/13 19:58

EpicRenaissance

Return to Gameservers & compo's